Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Books Books Books: what's your secret stash?

If you like books like me then consider yourself a bibliophile. Here is the online definition that I found at http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bibliophile:

bibliophile [ˈbɪblɪəˌfaɪl], bibliophil [ˈbɪblɪəfɪl]
n
a person who collects or is fond of books
bibliophilism  [ˌbɪblɪˈɒfəˌlɪzəm] n
bibliophilistic  adj

Yes, you like the look and feel of a book. You like being surrounded by books. You admire your bookshelf. You arrange how your books are laid out in every room in your home. You drop a book you are currently reading into your backpack, purse, murse, or even stuff one in your back pocket: you ARE a bibliophile.

Now, bibliophiles tend to be snobs.  Yes, I can admit that about myself.  Why? Well there are only certain books I want others to see that I am currently reading.  The stash hidden under my bed, of course you know this being a bibliophile, is for my own guilty pleasure and my very own delicious secret.

Oh, for me, it's not erotica as you were probably wondering. It's western novels. Anything pertaining to the old west, old time history, the "back in the day" books are my guilty pleasures.  I think I have read all of Louis L'Amour, McMurtry's stuff, and of course, being a woman, I LOVE reading about pioneer women and how the woman of "back in the day" lived and overcame obstacles.  These hidden little treasures are my secret stash, my delicious stash, the books I can't wait to come home to and when I'm ready to lay down in bed I can't wait to reach under and get my current book and smell it first (of course!) and let it take me away to that "back in the day" time.

Do you have a Nook? Kindle? These e-readers don't really do it for me but I still had to get me the Barnes & Noble Nook.  OF COURSE I LOVE IT! Why? Because I'm a bibliophile of course! Now, however, I don't just throw a real book into my bag before leaving my house, but I also drop my beloved little nook in the bag too. You bibliophiles know how I roll.

Have you ever read Steampunk? Steampunk literature/genre also has that "back in the day" nuance but with a punch. This type of literature takes you back to the civil war era but it has dirigibles, zombies, and all manner of crazy hooligans that take you for a loop. It's fun to read too.  Now that, for me sure is a guilty pleasure. 

Here are a few guilty pleasures I've recently enjoyed:

1. The Hearts of Horses, by Molly Gloss. This is a heartwarming story of a girl with a knack for gentling wild horses.

2. Warrior Woman: The story of Lozen, Apache Warrior and Shaman, by Peter Aleshire. Lozen is my hero and a woman I deeply admire. She was one amazing woman. Since I have Apache blood running through my veins I want to read more about her. There isn't much but I'm looking. By the way, below is a picture of the real Lozen, amazing warrior and shaman. This photo gives me chills:



3.  These is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine 1881-1908, Arizona Territories, by Nancy Turner. This is a true and factual account of the author's family memoirs.

4. Currently on my wish list to obtain is The Blue Tattoo: The Life of Olive Oatman, by Margot Mifflin.  This book is about an Arizona woman who was abducted and lived among the Mohave Indians. 





As for the steampunk genre, I'm currently reading everything by Cherie Priest. Some of her books I have hiding under my bed and considered part of my "delicious stash" are: Boneshaker and Dreadnought of her Clockwork Century Series.





What are you currently reading? What do you recommend? What kind of bibliophile are you?
What books do you currently have hiding under your bed as your "secret stash?"

8 comments:

  1. I am such a bibliophile & I can't wait to try out your list. It was like reading candy. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melanie. Let me know what books you recently read so I can add some yummy candy under my bed as secret stash! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great 1st blog girl...you are a pro! :)

    I would have to say I enjoy stories of the Holocaust...its not wrong to say how I enjoy them, it just sounds tacky but I know most people know what I mean haha My favorite book to have read in regards to the Holocaust, apart from the well known Anne Frank: A Diary of a Young Girl which is always a good recommendation for tween girls haha...Well, it would HAVE to be: Girl in Hyacinth Blue by Susan Vreeland- about a 'pretend' Vermeer photo that is has a history all its own. The story starts with the here & now & its traced backwards to it's original owners...during WWII
    Holocaust. Very awesome. And the old '80 VC Andrews books I am rereading- although there is nothing special about the WAY the stories are spun, the storyline intrigues me...maybe it is because of the youth it reminds me of or simply that as I do not have the crazyness of similar life happenings, I do have what others may consider crazy...and the playout over 3generations amazing :)

    Good luck with your blog Diana!!
    Prayers be with you!!
    ~Shell

    ReplyDelete
  4. That book sounds amazing. I want to read it. It's on my wish list now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite book that I've read recently is "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman. It is just beautifully written. I've read some of Gaiman and so far it seams like you can't go wrong. (He is my SO's fav author.) But, "Stardust" is wonderful, Gaiman describes it as an adult fairytale. Its a love story (with heaving bosoms and all, lol) with ghosts, a quest, magic and a alternate world.

    One of my favorites of all times is "What dreams may come," if you have seen the movie the book is so much more with rich and colorful descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, like minds! I love Gaiman! My favorite was American Gods.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so admire your courage with words & perspective ... thank you for telling
    ( what i'm sure is only a part of .. ) your story . bravo & looking forward to more .... :) steampunk = awesomeness !

    ReplyDelete

Please let me know what you think. Thank you.